I’m happy to see that Google has been continuing to invest in App Engine and the broader Google Cloud platform. At this year’s Google IO there were many exciting new feature announcements from across Google. There were also a strong set of new features announced for Google Cloud. Here are some of the highlights from my perspective. To see how things have evolved, check out my wish list from Google IO 2012.
- Datastore can now be accessed from anywhere via a RESTful API (including from Compute Engine).
- There is now support for PHP / WordPress.
- Coming soon. “Servers” feature that allows an app to be partitioned into sections.
Here’s the full list of production and experimental features for App Engine.
Google Compute Engine
- Custom software defined networks and VPN routes.
- Compute engine persistent disks are available up to 10GB.
- Sub-hour billing.